Question from Joy: We have been married for 18 years. Recently, his ex-wife called to see if there were copies of the divorce papers. We don`t have a copy either, but my husband remembers having it. The lawyer died. What are our possibilities to be sure that he is divorced? The settlement of your case takes the decision from the hands of the judge as long as the decision is not revolting or unilateral. If it is unilateral, the judge will normally intervene to help you develop the terms of your transaction. Question from Danielle: My ex won`t give me a copy of the divorce decision. How do I get a copy of my divorce decree? If you both wish to waive your final disclosure statement, you can use the disposition and waiver of the final disclosure statement (Form FL-144). If you do not use this form, make sure that your written agreement contains a very specific language about the waiver. Brette`s response: A copy of the decree must be served on you. Search your records for information such as subpoena, a petition, and a piece of paper containing the file number. If you can`t find this information, it would be in the county where the divorce was filed. Divorce records can be consulted looking for names, so you should ask if you go to the district court.

Charlotte`s question: How do I get a copy of the marriage agreement? Is this something that is normally sent to divorcees after divorce or do I have to pick it up in court myself? Joy`s question: My husband left me more than a year ago without informing me of his new address. I heard that he divorced me. How is it legal without my signature and how can I get a copy of the divorce papers? Once it`s all over, it`s a good idea to keep a copy of your final divorce decree. First of all, it is a court order. If there are any conditions of your transaction agreement that need to be met, it`s a good idea to keep a copy on file if you need to submit an execution or change later. If you can`t find your case online, the court can view this information for a fee. You can find the current amount of this fee in the “Browse records or files for each search that takes more than 10 minutes” section in the Certification and Copy Fees section of the local schedule. Question from A: Once I have participated in my divorce hearing and it is over, I immediately receive a copy of my divorce decree so that I can take the steps on the same day to change my last name to my maiden name and make other necessary changes (driver`s license, credit cards, bank account, etc.)? To get copies of divorce documents, go to the courthouse and ask for a copy or send an application in the mail.

If you have any questions or want to make sure the agreement is in your best interest (and in your children`s interest if you have children), talk to a lawyer before signing it. Click here for help finding a lawyer. Brette`s answer: You should be able to get a copy from the court. If you work with a lawyer, call him. If not, call the clerk`s office and ask how to get a copy.

Comments are closed.